21.3.07

Living the Dream: One CD at a Time

I read somewhere not too long ago that person was lamenting that people are putting out too many record albums without disbursement enough time promoting them. Well, I detest to state it, but my group, the Brobdingnagian Bards, is guilty of such as a crime.

You see, when I started The Bards a couple old age ago, I knew that sets needed a product. So we recorded our first album, Marked By Great Size, bought a cadmium burner, and started producing the CDs ourselves to sell at gigs.

Six calendar months later, we released our 2nd album, Gullible's Travels. By this time, we'd only had a few nice reviews of our first album, but we'd sold a couple hundred CDs after playing at numerous Renaissance Festivals. Now, our 2nd record record album was underway.

We recorded it, and got a humongous 1 review for the album. But with extended gigging we sold a couple hundred transcripts of this album.

Six calendar months later, we completed our 3rd album, Songs of the Muse. By this time, we starting to inquire if we were stretching ourselves too thin. Saint Andrew was duping all the CDs while I was getting them printed. And his burner wasn't quite fast adequate to maintain up with the demand for CDs. But it was about this time that we got started on mp3.com, and we got introduced to dam CDs, a much easier manner to bring forth CDs when you have got several, but can't afford to mass green goods any.

All of a sudden, the ground for our recording cadmium after cadmium made sense. We could acquire paid for people listening to our music, and the more than than music you have got the more money you made. Talk to Ernesto Cortazar and 303infinity if you disagree.

Now, we could tell cadmium one-offs from MP3.com, sell them at gigs for $10-15, and do a nice net income while our music climbed the charts. But did I advance "Songs of the Muse"?

Well, we started recording for our adjacent record albums (yes, plural) at the beginning of 2001. We've done some minor promotion of our album, and quite honestly, SOM is the best of our albums, and now our first mass-produced CD. So yes, we should make more than promotion for it, and we are. But no, we are still not disbursement all of our other income promoting this or another record album why? Why are we recording more albums.

Well first, Songs of the Muse was recorded to ran into a very specific market. It's an all instrumental album, and was designed to acquire us wedding ceremony gigs, which it makes quite nicely.

But the other ground we don't is because we are meeting our goals...making a living.

While some are after a record trade or becoming the adjacent dad star, we are on a journey. Yes, I'd wish to be a dad star. Sure, I wouldn't mind having a record deal. But our music is still evolving. We have got a long manner to travel before I experience we are ready for that record trade or super-stardom. The first measure is making a living.

That's what life the dreaming is all about. You have got to take attention of the rudiments first. In my case, it affects getting out of debt, edifice a regular income, edifice a following, and one twenty-four hours earning enough from the music to discontinue my twenty-four hours occupation so I can go a full-time musician. Bashes it count that our first few record albums may never be heard? No. It doesn't. Those first record albums will be Collector's Editions once we acquire there. ;)

Once those ends are met, then I can work on my dreamings of super-stardom. Yes, I am working on those stairway now. I'm not gonna happen a publicizer to advance us unless we are guaranteed a nice tax return on our money. But I will go on to acquire our music to local publications, slowly but surely. And one day, you're gonna read a message from me saying, "I am now living the dream!"

No comments: