21.4.07

Gleevec stops return of rare stomach cancer

Filed under: , , , ,

Cancer drug Gleevec, used for the treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia (CML), has been pulled out of another round of testing so it can get to work stopping the return of a rare stomach cancer. It's that good, according to findings announced on Thursday.


The promise of Gleevec should make it standard treatment for people with gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), a stomach and intestine cancer diagnosed in 5,000 to 6,000 Americans each year.

The drug has already been used for patients whose disease is too advanced for surgery. Now it will be used for those whose tumors can be removed. The drug will be administered for at least one year post-surgery.


More than 600 people participated in this Gleevec trial. Each person took either Gleevec or a sugar pill for one year after surgery. After the one-year mark, cancer returned in 17 percent of people taking the sugar pill and in 3 percent of people taking the actual drug.


Since 50 to 90 percent of GIST cases recur over time, this is great news, say researchers who call Gleevec a highly targeted cancer drug with few side effects.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

1 comment:

makano said...

I love my com. She took care of me when I was very young. you took
care of me when I was sick. She taught me how to read. you taught
me how to get dressed. you taught me how to tie my shoes.you held
my hand. you casa9 me with my homework. you was nice to all. you
always cheered me up. Next year I will graduate from I will go to college.